The eye doctors and staff at The Eye Clinic of Texas alerted patients getting ready to celebrate the July 4th holiday to use both common sense and caution when enjoying fireworks displays. Eye safety is quite critical with fireworks as fireworks related eye injuries are the second most frequent injury we see from emergency room each July 4th weekend.
Some common sense precautions everyone can take to prevent eye injuries includes:
• Never let kids play with fireworks of any type.
• Do not purchase, use or store fireworks of any type-leave it to professionals.
• Attend only authorized public fireworks displays conducted by licensed operators
Keep in mind that even professional displays can be dangerous. However, if an eye accident does occur, there are a few things you should know:
• Do not rub the eye.
• Do not attempt to rinse out the eye. This can be even more damaging than rubbing.
• Do not apply pressure to the eye itself-but protecting the eye from further contact with any item, including the person’s hand.
• Do not stop for medicine! Over-the-counter pain relievers will not do much to relieve pain. Aspirin (should never be given to children) and ibuprofen can thin the blood, increasing bleeding. Take the person to the emergency room at once.
• Do not apply ointments or drops. They may not be sterile and may make the area around the eye slippery and harder for the doctor to examine.
Once you are seen in the emergency room please feel free to have them call The Eye Clinic of Texas at 800-423-3937 as we always have an eye doctor “on call” to provide consultation and continued care for you.
If you or someone you know has questions about fireworks eye safety and eye injuries please call The Eye Clinic of Texas, an affiliate of Houston Eye Associates, at 800-423-3937, visit The Eye Clinic of Texas or facebook.com/ecot.lasik to schedule an appointment.
The Eye Clinic of Texas is an affiliate of Houston Eye Associates, the largest ophthalmology clinic in the nation. We are a leading eye care practice serving the greater Houston, Galveston, League City and Texas City with offices at 1100 Gulf Freeway, Suite 114, League City, Texas 77573, 7111 Medical Center Drive, Suite 110, Texas City, Texas 77590 and 2302 Avenue P, Galveston, Texas 77550.