Preop & Postop LASIK & Laser Eye Surgery Instructions & Information at The Eye Clinic of Texas in greater Houston & Galveston.
There is minimal preparation before laser vision correction surgery. Listed below are the pre-procedure instructions we will give to our patients:
- If you are wearing soft contact lenses, you should have discontinued their use at least one week prior to the procedure
- If you are wearing hard contact lenses, you should have discontinued their use at least four weeks prior to the procedure.
- You will be contacted the day before your surgery date, with a specific appointment time.
- Wash your face well the night before, taking care to remove all eye make-up.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- DO NOT apply eye make-up on the day of the procedure.
- Have a light breakfast or lunch depending on your surgery time.
- DO NOT have any caffeine the day of surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
- DO NOT wear any perfume, cologne or fragrances.
- Plan to have someone take you home following your procedure, as well as bring you to your follow-up appointment the next day.
Here are our suggestions that are given to patients regarding post-operative care and expectations:
- Relax for the rest of the day following your procedure, sleep if possible.
- Use Tylenol or aspirin for any discomfort.
- DO NOT remove your eye shields until you are seen at your next day follow up appointment.
- Use the prescribed eye drops as directed (after first post-op visit)
- DO NOT rub your eyes vigorously for at least three months (eyes take as long as six months to completely heal. Rubbing disturbs tissues and delays the healing process and could even cause dislocation of the corneal flap).
- Refrain from any heavy lifting, straining, or become sweaty or dirty for a 2-3 week period. (Sweat or dirt in the eyes could initiate rubbing).
- Refrain from any sporting or water activities for a 2-3 week period.
- Avoid wearing eye make-up for 1 week after your procedure.