Patients are normally eligible if:
You are corrected for nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism.
You are in general good health.
You have had stable vision for at least 6 months.
You are at least 20 years of age.
The Eye Clinic of Texas offers FREE consultations to determine if you are a good candidate for LASIK.
There are some medical conditions that may eliminate someone from being a candidate:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Some stages of diabetes
- Lupus, or collagen vascular diseases
- Ocular herpes
- Other medical conditions that affect the healing process
- Women who are pregnant or plan to become pregnant within 6 months should wait until approx. 6 months after childbirth or until vision stabilizes.
Patients wearing contact lenses must discontinue use prior to a pre-operative exam. Soft contact lens wearers must be out 1 week prior to pre-op exam and hard or gas permeable lens wearers must be out 4-6 weeks prior to pre-op exam.
- Medical history of patient
- Dilated eye exam with refraction
- Corneal topography – mapping of the cornea’s surface
- Pachymetry – measuring the thickness of the cornea
- Measuring the size of the pupil